5.24.2011

Ooh La La

I have a new digital camera so I'll start posting pictures to go along with my recipes soon. However, I'm posting a Google Picture for this one because I won't be making it for awhile. See, today's recipe is French Onion Soup. Onions make you very gassy (tmi? perhaps.) and when you're nursing a baby, they eat what you eat. So for my own sanity and sleep schedule, I'm not eating that many onions while I'm still nursing Chancho.

This recipe skill level is medium and it takes quite awhile to make. It's very much worth the effort and makes for a fancy date night meal when served with a spinach salad tossed in balsamic vinaigrette.

1/2 cup butter (REAL butter, not margarine)
4 onions sliced in half circles
2 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs
1 cup white wine (i like the 4 packs of mini bottles for cooking, that way you don't have to open a huge bottle for one recipe)
3 Tbl flour
2 quarts chicken broth
1 baguette
1/2 pound gruyere cheese grated

Melt butter, add onions, garlic bay leaves, thyme. Cook until onions are very soft and DARK brown. Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until onions are dry. Dust with flour and stir. Turn heat to medium and cook 10 minutes. Add broth and simmer 10 minutes.

Slice bread and toast. Ladle soup into bowls on a cookie sheet and float a slice of bread in each bowl. Top with cheese and broil until golden and bubbly. I like to COVER the bread/soup with cheese, but you can add as much or as little as you want. I'm kind of a cheese fiend.

CAUTION: the bowls will be hot when you take them out of the oven.













Bon Appetit mes amis!

♥ K8

1 comment:

  1. A new camera? EXCITING! I'm loving all these recipes! I'm like the worst when it comes to cooking so ideas are good for me! :)

    ReplyDelete