5.30.2011

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes

singing "HEYO! I MADE MAYO!"

I think that's how the song goes.
Maybe not.

Awhile ago I ran out of mayonnaise. This is a tragedy for me as I love tuna sammiches.

So I went to my trusty AllRecipes.com and found one for homemade mayo.

I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil and I didn't really like it.

The consistency is awesome, but the flavor is too strong.

SO

I'm trying again. It can be a tricky process, therefore I'm doing a step-by-step instructions to make sure you have a good idea.

STEP 1:

Gather ingredients-
1 egg
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
3/4 cup vegetable oil
Salt and Peppa to taste

1 Blender {if you have a hand blender, USE IT. It will save you an insane amount of time. I've included instructions for both regular and hand blender}

STEP 2 HAND BLENDER:

Place all ingredients in a tall container that will hold the ingredients and be less than 1/2 full.

STEP 2 REGULAR BLENDER:

Combine the egg, garlic, lemon juice, and mustard in the blender and blend until smoooooth.

STEP 3 HAND BLENDER:

Place blender in bottom of the container and turn it on. Slowly pull the blender upwards to incorporate all ingredients. If there is still some oil hangin out on top, keep moving the blender up and down and stir it around a little.

STEP 3 REGULAR BLENDER:

this step is important to go slowly...patience is a virtue that pays off here!

Turn blender to low speed and S-L-O-W-L-Y pour oil in a fine stream as the mixture emulsifies and thickens.

STEP 4 REGULAR BLENDER:

Once all the oil is added and your mayo is thick and luxurious, use a rubber spatula scraper thing to scrape down the sides and make sure the whole thing is well mixed with no oil pockets.

STEP 5 BOTH BLENDERS:

Turn off the blender and transfer your mayo to a storage container. I used a mason jar and lid, but you can also use gladware, tupperware, baby food jars, even ziploc bags. As long as it seals well and can be refrigerated, it'll work.

I wanna celebrate and live my life singin' "Heyo! I made Mayo!"

Yeah that's totally how it goes.

♥ K8

1 comment:

  1. Homemade mayo is da bomb! Just remember it won't keep as long as store-bought, so write the date on the container or something. If you put in extra garlic, it makes a really super yummy Aioli sauce for fries, calamari, shrimp, and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete