5.27.2011

Macky Cheese

Enlarged to show texture


So my two year old talks fairly well for her age...but she has a hard time saying Mac and Cheese.

Sometimes we can get "maca-oh-ni", but it's usually Macky Cheese.

She loves it.

I felt a little guilty giving her the boxed stuff all the time because, well lets face it, that stuff ain't exactly healthy.

So after several trial and error dinners I made my own Macky Cheese.

You can make as much or as little as you want depending on the amount of noodles you cook, but the sauce recipe is usually good for about 3 or 4 good sized bowls.

Sauce:

2 cups milk
6-8 slices American Cheese
1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese

Heat milk in a sauce pan over medium heat, break American cheese slices into quarters and add 2 slices at a time. Make sure you stir REALLY well and all cheese is melted before you add the next slices...keeps the sauce nice and creamy and smoooooooth. Once all the American cheese is added and melted, add the Cheddar cheese and stir until melted and smooth. Turn heat to low. Cook and drain your elbow macaroni and return to pot. Dump the cheese sauce into the noodles and give her a good stir. Yup, just like with the chili. You can add more grated cheddar or even some mozzarella if you want. If you want to fancy it up a little, you can use Gruyere or swiss cheese as well, or in place of, the cheddar.

To make a thicker sauce, either do less milk or more American Cheese. To make a thinner sauce, do the opposite of what I just said.

For some reason kids love this stuff and so does my husband. As was stated in my previous recipe, I am a cheese fiend...so you know I be grubbin' on this bizness.

♥ K8

1 comment:

  1. OMG Kevin and I freaking love cheese too! We eat it almost for every meal somehow...I never thought about how bad the boxed stuff is until now. Hmmm. Looks like I'm gonna have to be tryin' some of this stuff!

    ReplyDelete