5.01.2012

Thanksgiving Chicken

I want Thanksgiving.  Now.  In May.  But turkey is so expensive outside that magical November-January window!  So I made do with what I had.  Chicken.  It's close right?  White poultry meat...without the coma after! 

My mom has a fantastic recipe for the best turkey ever.  Maybe it's because I grew up on it, but it doesn't feel like Thanksgiving if I'm eating a turkey NOT made with her recipe.  Like it's not really turkey...more like one of those tofu turkeys or something.

Thanksgiving Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (approx. 5 oz each)
1 stick butter
Rosemary (I only have dried on hand)
Sage
Thyme
2 cloves Garlic (powder or fresh minced)
Salt n Peppa

Preheat oven to 375.  In a microwave safe dish place butter on its side and cover the top of it with the spices (I just eyeballed it so I don't have exact measurements sorry!).  Microwave for 1 minute until butter is melted and the spices are smelling divine.  Place your chicken breasts in an ungreased 9x13 dish.  Spoon, brush, or pour butter mixture over chicken and place in the oven for 30-45 minutes depending on thickness of chicken.  Baste with pan juices every 10 minutes or so.  My house smelled like Thanksgiving.  My mouth tasted sorta like Thanksgiving, but without the crispy skin and amazing side dishes only my mom can perfectly recreate (except sweet potatoes).

This Thanksgiving we'll be somewhere and most likely unable to go home for Thanksgiving.  So I'll be calling my mom for all her recipes in an effort to recreate the cherished meal only her hand has truly mastered.  

Sorry, no picture. I ate it too fast.

K8

1 comment:

  1. The spices and stuff are the recipe, but the final quality is dependent on one key ingredient that you didn't mention. Ready, set, GO! :)

    Love you, Buggle!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete