5.01.2012

Idaho Broil

I tried a new recipe last night for London Broil.

It was terrible.

I'm sure the recipe would have been fine if my oven wasn't completely stupid.  Most ovens I've seen have the normal temperature settings and then a broil setting.  If you were lucky it had a self cleaning or a "warm" setting.

My oven is an over achiever. 

It not only has ALL these things, it's broiler has TWO settings. HI broil and LO broil.

Recipes do not support my broiler operating system.

This is where I have to guess.  I tried HI broil first and after about 3 minutes I noticed smoke coming out of my oven.

awesome.

I opened the door to find my roasting pan warped, smoking, and utterly ruined.  We hurriedly ripped open all the doors and windows so our super sensitive smoke alarms wouldn't go off and cause my children to start screaming at the "beep beeps".

I should have stuck with my tried and true recipe for this sometimes difficult cut of meat.

Beef with Asparagus

1 lb London Broil
Dried Rosemary
4 Tbsp butter
6 cloves garlic (minced)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 bunch asparagus
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt n Peppa
Garlic Powder

MEAT: Start by making cross cuts 1/8 inch deep and 1 inch apart on both sides of the meat, creating a diamond pattern.  Next, melt the butter in the microwave with the minced garlic and rosemary.  Season meat with Salt n Peppa and rub butter mixture on both sides, making sure to get into the cuts.  In a heavy skillet (I use cast iron), heat vegetable oil over medium high heat until hot.  Add meat and cook 5-7 minutes on each side.  If you don't like how pink it is, just cook a little longer.  Remove from pan, cover with foil and let it rest for 5 minutes.  Slice against the grain into thin slices.

ASPARAGUS: Wanna see something easy?  Trim ends off asparagus (super easy, just hold it in the middle and bend. It will break where it's supposed to! MAGIC!) and place on a foil lined baking sheet. drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Place in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes (depending on thickness of asparagus).  That's it.

Serve 'em side by side with some fresh fruit salad or mashed potatoes or wild rice.

Bazinga.

K8

No comments:

Post a Comment